Important Note: You must either take Program 1 or Program 2.
You are not required to take both programs.
- PROGRAM 1 – $330 – Click here for a printable $330 enrollment/registration form. THIS PROGRAM SHOULD TAKE 2-6 HOURS TO COMPLETE IN THE CLINIC.
STUDENTS MUST BE ABLE TO TAKE AN FMX (5 OR LESS ERRORS) UNASSISTED ON A DENTAL MANIKIN.
In the state of California a Dental Assistant must have their California Radiation Safety (X-Ray) certificate to be permitted to take x-rays in a dental office. In addition, all applicants for Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) licensure must submit evidence of having completed an approved radiation safety course.
OC Dental Specialists is a California Dental Board approved course provider that certifies students in Radiation Safety and upon completion of our course we will issue an X-ray certificate/license to the student.
This course includes lecture and clinical application of x-ray safety, bisecting and parallel techniques, film exposure, processing and mounting of non-digital x-rays, digital x-ray(Dexis) training, and evaluation of both digital and non-digital dental x-rays. For this course, we will be using online and in-class lectures, instructional videos, and one-on-one training using dental x-ray manikins and live patients. The California Dental Board will be notified upon successful completion of the Radiation Safety Certification course.
This program is for students already trained in Dental Intra-oral Radiography. Each student will provide 4 clinical patients and produce one FMX on each clinical patient. Three clinical patients will be treated for full-mouth x-rays(an FMX is 18 images per patient and includes 4 BW’s) by the student at their present facility before the first day of class. Either digital images or traditional films are acceptable. The student’s supervising dentist must sign and validate that each of the three FMX’s was completed by the student. The 4th patient will be treated for an FMX in class.
- Enrollment is limited to those who are employed or interning with a licensed dentist.
- Student must wear scrubs, wear hair pulled back above collar, and not wear open-ended footwear.
- The actual 3 FMX’s and validation by the supervising dentist must be provided at the beginning of the first day of class.
- On the day of the class, student will take 2 exams, complete 2 FMX’s on manikins, and complete one FMX on a patient.
- Student will bring one patient to class at a time designated by the instructor to complete the final exam FMX.
- This program is all-inclusive and includes all supplies.
- Must be able to communicate in English
- Must have 8-hour Infection Control certificate
- All students must have a minimum of six (6) months experience in the dental field
- Must have a minimum of six (6) months experience in dental assisting in the United States and provide documentation from the dental office. This documentation must include:
- Dates of employment/experience
- Must be written on office letterhead (including office address and phone number)
- Must be signed AND dated by supervising dentist
- Be a graduate of a dental assisting program
- Be currently enrolled in a dental assistant program
*OC DENTAL SPECIALISTS WILL VERIFY YOUR EMPLOYMENT/EXPERIENCE*
Photocopies of the above documents must be included with the registration form. Payment and the complete registration packet must be received 48 hours before the first day of class. Incomplete prerequisites will not be accepted and students will be rescheduled for the next start date.
Patient Criteria for FMX at Orange County Dental Institute:
- Must be at least 18 years or older.
– Must have no more than 6 missing teeth and at least 26 of their natural dentition
– Must have no history of cardiovascular or kidney problem.
– Must not be pregnant.
– Must not be in any orthodontic appliances (including permanent or fixed retainers).
– Must complete all the necessary forms at or before time of FMX.